When it comes to storing soup for later enjoyment, choosing the right freezer container is crucial. Not only does it need to be durable to withstand freezing temperatures, but it also should be leak-proof to prevent any messy spills. Whether you’re a fan of hearty stews or lighter broths, having the right container can make all the difference. In this roundup, we’ll explore the top freezer containers for soup, including a budget-friendly option for those looking to save without sacrificing quality.
If you wanna skip to the winner – we have picked the Rubbermaid Brilliance as the best Freezer Container for soup
Best Freezer Containers for Soup
Best Freezer Containers for Soup Reviewed
Rubbermaid’s Brilliance line is renowned for its leak-proof and airtight qualities, making it an excellent choice for freezing soups. These containers are made from BPA-free plastic that’s safe for the freezer and dishwasher. The clear design allows you to easily identify the contents, and the stackable feature is perfect for maximizing freezer space.
- Airtight Seal: Keeps soup fresh and prevents freezer burn.
- Durable Material: Resistant to cracking in cold temperatures.
- Stackable Design: Saves space in your freezer.
Best for Glass Container Lovers
For those who prefer glass over plastic, the Pyrex Simply Store set is a fantastic choice. These glass containers are freezer-safe and come with secure-fitting lids to keep your soups safe and spill-free. The non-porous glass won’t absorb food odors, flavors, or stains, and you can easily reheat your soup in the same container.
- Glass Construction: Durable and resistant to stains and odors.
- Microwave Safe: Convenient for reheating directly in the container.
- Variety of Sizes: Suitable for individual servings or larger batches.
Best Budget Option
The Arrow Reusable Plastic Storage Container Set offers great value for those on a budget. These containers are freezer-safe, durable, and come in a variety of sizes, making them ideal for different soup quantities. While they may not have the same premium features as some of the other options, they are a reliable and affordable choice for everyday use.
- Affordable: Great value for a set of multiple containers.
- Versatile Sizes: Suitable for all types of soups and stews.
- Dishwasher Safe: Easy to clean and maintain.
Best for Versatility
The OXO Good Grips Smart Seal Container is a versatile choice for those who need a container that does more than just freeze soup. These BPA-free plastic containers are not only freezer-safe but also ideal for meal prep and general food storage. The smart seal technology ensures a leak-proof and airtight closure, keeping your soups safe and fresh.
- Leak-Proof Technology: Prevents spills and keeps contents secure.
- Multipurpose Use: Suitable for freezing, refrigerating, and even microwaving.
- Clear Body with Measurement Markings: Easy to see contents and measure portions.
Best for Portion Control
For those who love to batch-cook and freeze individual soup portions, Souper Cubes Freezing Trays are a game-changer. Made from food-grade silicone, these trays allow you to freeze soup in perfect portions and easily pop them out when needed. The innovative design includes a lid to prevent freezer burn and odors.
- Portion-Sized Compartments: Ideal for freezing soup in consistent servings.
- Durable Silicone Material: Flexible and long-lasting.
- Lid Included: Protects against freezer burn and odors.
Buying Guide for Freezer Containers for Soup
When it comes to freezing soup, the container you choose can make a significant difference in the quality and longevity of your stored food. Freezing soup is a fantastic way to preserve your cooking for later enjoyment, but without the right container, you might find yourself dealing with freezer burn, leaks, or a drop in flavor quality. This comprehensive guide will help you select the best freezer container for your soup, ensuring that your culinary efforts are well-preserved.
How to Choose the Best Freezer Container for Soup
- Key Features to Look For: The ideal freezer container for soup should be airtight to prevent freezer burn and leaks. Look for containers made from durable materials that can withstand freezing temperatures without cracking. BPA-free plastic or freezer-safe glass are popular choices. The container should also be easy to seal and open.
- Considerations Based on Usage and Needs: Your choice will also depend on how much soup you typically freeze. If you’re freezing large batches, you’ll need containers with a larger capacity. For individual servings, smaller containers are more convenient. Consider the space in your freezer as well; stackable containers can save a lot of room.
Advantages/Benefits of a Quality Freezer Container for Soup
- Why Good Storage Matters: Proper storage is crucial for maintaining the flavor, texture, and nutritional value of your soup. Quality containers keep out air and moisture, which are the main culprits in freezer burn and spoilage.
- Long-Term Benefits: Investing in good freezer containers can save you money in the long run. It reduces food waste, as your soup stays edible for longer periods. Additionally, it offers the convenience of having ready-to-eat meals on hand, saving time on busy days.
Best Practices for Using Freezer Containers for Soup
- Tips on Using and Maintaining the Container: Always leave some space at the top of the container when filling it with soup, as liquids expand when frozen. Cool the soup before freezing to reduce the risk of bacterial growth. For maintenance, regularly check your containers for any signs of damage or wear and tear. If using plastic containers, replace them if they start to show cracks or if the seal becomes less effective.
- Additional Usage Tips: Label your containers with the date of freezing to keep track of how long the soup has been stored. This practice is essential for food safety and quality management. If using glass containers, ensure they are tempered for thermal shock resistance to prevent cracking when moving from hot to cold environments.
Special Features to Consider
- Innovative or Unique Features: Some containers come with special features that can enhance your freezing experience. For example, containers with built-in portion control features, like the Souper Cubes Freezing Tray, are great for meal planning and diet management. Others might have vented lids for easy reheating directly from the freezer to the microwave.
- Versatility and Additional Uses: Consider containers that can be used for more than just freezing soup. Many high-quality containers are versatile enough for general food storage, meal prep, and even serving. This versatility makes them a more economical and practical choice in the long run.
Understanding Material Choices
- Plastic vs. Glass: Plastic containers, like the Rubbermaid Brilliance Airtight Storage Container, are lightweight and less likely to shatter, making them a practical choice for everyday use. Glass containers, such as those from Pyrex, offer the advantage of being non-porous, which means they won’t absorb odors or stains. They are also generally safer for microwave reheating. When choosing between plastic and glass, consider factors like weight, durability, and intended use.
- Safety Considerations: Ensure that plastic containers are BPA-free to avoid potential health risks. For glass containers, check that they are tempered or labeled as freezer-safe to prevent cracking under extreme temperature changes.
Capacity and Shape
- Size Matters: The capacity of the container should align with your typical soup batch size. If you often cook in large quantities, opt for larger containers. For meal prepping or smaller servings, containers with individual compartments or smaller sizes are more suitable.
- Shape and Efficiency: Consider the shape of the container for efficient use of freezer space. Rectangular or square containers, like the OXO Good Grips Smart Seal Container, often stack more efficiently and can make better use of limited freezer space compared to round containers.
Lid Design and Seal Quality
- Secure Lids: The lid design is crucial in preventing leaks and ensuring an airtight seal. Look for lids that snap securely or have locking mechanisms. Some containers feature silicone seals or gaskets for added leak protection.
- Ease of Opening and Closing: While a secure lid is important, it shouldn’t be difficult to open or close. Containers that are easy to use are more likely to be used regularly.
- Microwave and Dishwasher Safe: For added convenience, look for containers that can go straight from the freezer to the microwave, and then into the dishwasher for easy cleanup.
- Innovative Add-ons: Some containers come with additional features like vented lids, measurement markings, or color-coded lids for easy organization. While not essential, these features can enhance the user experience.
Environmental Impact and Sustainability
- Reusable and Durable: Choose containers that are built to last, reducing the need for frequent replacements and minimizing waste. Reusable containers are more environmentally friendly compared to single-use options.
- Recyclability: Consider the recyclability of the container material. Glass is generally more recyclable than plastic, but many plastic containers can also be recycled, depending on your local recycling facilities.
- Price vs. Quality: While budget-friendly options like the Arrow Reusable Plastic Storage Container Set are available, it’s important to balance cost with quality. Investing in a slightly more expensive container might provide better durability and functionality in the long run.
- Set vs. Individual Containers: Sometimes buying a set of containers can be more cost-effective than purchasing individual pieces. Assess your needs and compare the cost per container when buying sets versus singles.
After evaluating various options, the Rubbermaid Brilliance Airtight Storage Container emerges as the top choice for freezing soup. Its superior airtight seal, durability, and clear design make it an all-around winner for both long-term freshness and everyday use. The container’s robust construction ensures that your soup stays safe in the freezer, and its stackable design is perfect for maximizing storage space.
As runners-up, the Pyrex Simply Store Glass Round Food Container Set and the OXO Good Grips Smart Seal Container both offer unique advantages. The Pyrex set is ideal for those who prefer glass containers, offering stain and odor resistance with the added benefit of being microwave safe. On the other hand, the OXO container stands out for its versatility, suitable for a variety of storage needs beyond just freezing soup.
What container is best to freeze soup in?
Airtight containers like the Rubbermaid Brilliance Airtight Storage Container are best for freezing soup, as they prevent leaks and freezer burn.
Is it better to freeze soup in glass or plastic?
Both can be effective, but glass, like the Pyrex Simply Store Glass Round Food Container Set, is less prone to absorbing odors and is microwave safe. Plastic is lighter and less likely to break.
What is the best container to freeze liquid in?
Containers with airtight seals and robust construction, such as the OXO Good Grips Smart Seal Container, are best for freezing liquids to prevent spills and preserve quality.
How do you store soup in the freezer?
Cool the soup first, then transfer it to an airtight container, leaving some space at the top for expansion. Label the container with the date before freezing.
Is it better to freeze soup in a bag or container?
Containers are better for maintaining the soup’s structure and preventing spills. Bags can save space but may not protect the soup as effectively.
Is it safe to freeze soup in glass jars?
Yes, as long as the glass is freezer-safe, like Pyrex containers. Ensure there’s enough headspace to allow for expansion.
What soups don’t freeze well?
Soups containing cream, milk, or potatoes can change texture when frozen and reheated. Broth-based soups generally freeze better.
What size container do you need to freeze soup?
It depends on the quantity of soup. For individual servings, 1-2 cup containers work well. For larger batches, use bigger containers.
Can you freeze soup in Pyrex?
Yes, Pyrex is freezer-safe. Just ensure there’s enough space at the top for expansion.
How do you store soup in the freezer without plastic?
Use glass containers like Pyrex or silicone freezing trays, which are both freezer-safe and non-plastic options.
Can you freeze homemade soup in freezer bags?
Yes, but ensure they are high-quality, thick freezer bags to prevent leaks and freezer burn.
Is it safe to store soup in a plastic container?
Yes, as long as the plastic is BPA-free and designed for freezer use, like the Rubbermaid Brilliance Airtight Storage Container
If you want to read more guides on the best food containers then click here